Mold appears black or green while mildew looks gray or white. Yet, there are some more detailed specifics in the appearance of them.
Mildew typically grows in a flat pattern and is fluffy or powdery. It will turn black or brown over time. When inhaled, mildew spores cause coughing, headache, sore throat, and respiratory problems. Mildew is a surface fungi that can easily be identified as a patch of gray or even white fungus that is lying on the surface of a moist area. Mildew is easily treated with a store bought cleaner and a scrubbing brush.
Mold is fuzzy or slimy and can be all different colors. VVarious allergic reactions (sneezing, skin irritations, irritation of the eyes and throat, nasal congestion, etc.), respiratory problems (difficulty breathing, coughing, pneumonia, asthma attacks), heart problems, migraines, inflammation and pain in the joints, dizziness, depression, and extreme fatigue. The mycotoxins produced by black mold are particularly harmful and may have severe long-term health effects.
The key to treating mold and mildew is to wipe it out of your home immediately. Treating it accordingly will safeguard your home from permanent damage and keep you from doing the tango with nasty fungi in the future.